March 24, 2022
S2 E5: Effective Emergency Management Planning with Alan Vierling and Scott Cormier
When dealing with an emergency situation, the greatest strength in an organization is a well-developed plan.
To discuss best practices for developing emergency management plans are experts [Alan Vierling](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-vierling-dnp-rn-cenp-83aa45b/), the President of Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, Michigan, and [Scott Cormier](https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-cormier-3b98b39/), the Vice President of Emergency Management, Environment of Care, and Safety at Medxcel.
Alan and Scott’s words of wisdom are to keep things simple. In this episode, they break the planning process down into manageable steps with tips on prioritizing and identifying who is essential to get on board.
The age of the thick emergency management binder is over - it’s time for simple plans that work.
On this episode, you’ll hear:
- [01:46] What is the definition of a good emergency management plan?
- [04:29] The most important component of an emergency management plan
- [07:33] Examples of plans being implemented
- [11:11] Managing business continuity during a major disaster
- [14:55] Identifying critical partnerships
- [20:09] Creative problem solving during a crisis
- [26:00] Lessons learned during emergencies
- [28:42] Tips for getting your emergency management plans approved with resources
- [32:39] How to start building an emergency management plan