November 16, 2023
S4 E10: Music, Medicine, and Multicultural Care with Dr. Cleveland Francis
From cardiologist to professional musician to DEI advocate, Dr. Cleveland Francis’ experience runs the gamut.
Throughout his career, he’s experienced the highs and lows of both the music industry and the medical field.
In this episode, he shares his story of running a successful multicultural cardiology practice for over four decades – with a quick stint as a professional musician.
Dr. Francis sheds light on the importance of patient personalization, combating racism and bias in healthcare, and the power of building trust and empathy with patients. He also discusses his own struggles and how a record contract saved him from the stress of medicine.
Press play to hear Dr. Francis’ insights and learn how Inova Health System is leading the way in addressing social and racial issues in healthcare.
On this episode, you’ll hear:
- [00:30] Introducing Dr. Cleveland Francis, Diversity Advisor at Inova Heart and Vascular Institute
- [03:30] Opening a multicultural practice
- [04:30] Pursuing music and the importance of hobbies
- [08:00] Promoting DEI and addressing racism in healthcare
- [11:30] Addressing vaccine hesitancy
- [13:10] Engaging the community to increase minority representation