October 19, 2023
S4 E8: Creating a Culture of Safety with Mark Boucot
Establishing a clear mission for your staff is key to providing safe patient care.
When your team knows what they need to accomplish and feels empowered to do so, high quality care will naturally follow.
In this conversation, Mark Boucot, President and CEO of Garrett Regional Medical Center and Potomac Valley Hospital, shares how he’s hardwired safety into his team’s operations. Under his leadership, they’ve become a Top 20 Hospital as recognized by the National Rural Health Association.
As you listen, you’ll learn how to create a culture of safety for both staff and patients by implementing programs like peer support, frontline staff councils, and employee recognition.
On this episode, you’ll hear:
- [00:30] Introducing Mark Boucot, President and CEO of Garrett Regional Medical Center and Potomac Valley Hospital
- [02:30] Adopting Lean Six Sigma performance improvement models
- [05:30] Embracing a mindset of safety
- [10:00] Empowering employees to improve patient outcomes
- [14:30] Protecting staff from violence
- [18:30] Achieving top safety metrics and low readmission rates